
The concert was amazing - as I knew it would be. But the best part was at the very end. That's when the "meet and greet" came into play. There were around 100 (maybe a little more) with backstage passes. Which was more then we expected, but less then the thousands that were at the concert. In light of that, we were a small group :) We filed into a room - Carli, Maddie and I were somewhere in the middle - and waited for Amy to come in. When she did, those that were in the room (the line wrapped around the corner), clapped and cheered. Because of the volume of people, it was supposed to be just a quick "hello", etc. Which made perfect sense. I know we were all tired, and I can't imagine how tired Amy must have felt - what a long day. When it was almost our turn, I started getting really really nervous again (I'd been nervous all day - off and on). There was a girl behind us - about my age (34) - who had "grown up" with Amy Grant as well. As we got closer, you could see the tears welling up inside both of us. Butterflies, tears, all sorts of emotions. I"m not a "star-struck" type person - not as an adult anyway. But this has been a long awaited dream of mine - I felt like that little girl all over again. The little girl who always wanted to meet her "role model". I had no idea what I'd say or how it would come out. Or even if it would come out the way I wanted. Amy Grant was the one person I always wanted to meet, but at the same time, never wanted to meet. I knew I'd never be able to express how much she has meant to me and the influence she played on my life growing up. Because I knew in advance I'd have that chance to meet her, I wrote her a letter. Not one I'm willing to share in this blog - it's between Amy and I. But I tried as best I could to put into words how I felt. When it was our turn, we walked up and I handed Amy the bouquet of flowers. It was actually Kevin's idea - and I loved it. I also handed her the letter. And I cried.....how embarrassing. I knew I'd have a hard time finding the words to say, but I really didn't think I'd cry. But I did. I told her how much her and her music meant to me and how she played a big part in my growing up....again, I don't remember much....(thank goodness Carli was there). When I handed her the letter I explained briefly what it was and why. Amy thanked me for both and said over and over how beautiful the bouquet was and how much that meant to her. She then said that she was boarding a bus in less then an hour and they wouldn't survive the trip. Because of that she wanted to "give" me the flowers. In her words, "from you to me, then me to you". I thought that was a really neat way of doing that. When I purchased the bouquet, I knew she'd probably have to toss them when they left. How do you keep them alive and well on a tour bus....you can't. I got them as a token of my appreciation for her. Also, she'll remember who I was when she reads my letter, since I was the one (and only) who brought her a bouquet. She could have just thrown them out after everyone left, or left them in the building. I thought that was very thoughtful. Again, I'm just amazed at how God orchestrated this entire evening. What an awesome Heavenly Father He is. To want to give us gifts - even if they're small in light of eternity. He knew how much it would mean for me to meet Amy Grant and share with her a few things. And I know it was God who made it all possible.
1 comment:
Woooww!! Thats so awesome that you won these tickets!! :) So awesome. I'm glad you had an awesome time with Amy. You're a really blessed person.
<3
Post a Comment