Sunday, April 13, 2008

It's a cruel world sometimes

I'm usually a trusting person. I like to think most people are honest. But I've come to realize what Kevin has known all along. My husband deals with dirt bags all day, everyday, so he sees the other side of so called "human beings". But not I, I usually see the "good" in almost everyone. Until Friday afternoon. I was shopping with a friend at a high end shopping mall in our area. We went in to use the restroom. I had faith with me, my huge diaper bag, a few other bags and my purse. Well, 20 minutes later I realized my purse was still in that stall. When I ran back to the restroom, I noticed someone was in that very stall. I knocked and asked if my purse was there, and to my delight, it was. She very nicely gave it back and said she was ready to turn it in to security in hopes the owner would return for it. As I thanked her and walked away, I began to check everything. Yep, all there - or so I thought.
The next morning I went to get our grocery money so I could make our meal plan for the week. As I searched for that envelope, began to realize where it had been. For us, the best way to budget is to divide the cash up into envelops for certain bills. We usually leave it all home till we need it. Because of that, we've been known to forget our money while grocery shopping and having to resort back to our debit card. So earlier in the week I had placed the grocery money in my purse ready to use it when needed - all 180.00 of it. That's when my heart just sunk. Our food money for the rest of this week and the next was all in my purse - in an envelope that read "FOOD MONEY". Wow....what a nice person to actually take someones food money. I guess this is a common occurrence - something Kevin deals with a lot. He was just glad we weren't hurt and they didn't take my debit card or license. Just the money. And money is replaceable. So I'm back to one big purse - that doubles as a diaper bag as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... that sucks. But like you said, money is replacable! Thank goodness money isnt the thing that keeps is alive. It helps, but it isnt the worst thing that can be taken from us... Lol. Anywho, well, hope you find a way to make up for the lost, im sure you will. Hope you guys are doing better :). Love, Jean

Cyndee said...

Hi Leah!! I didn't even know you had a blog!! I am so sorry about the food money.... that stinks! Especially when food is not so cheap these days! I have officially missed being there when your mom is here... it has just been crazy! We will get over to see Madison soon, however... Love you! Cyndee